6 Effective Ways to Get Rid of Calluses on FeetHealthy Life
Calluses are parts of the skin that become hard and rough. This thickened part of the skin is formed as a protection of the skin against excessive pressure and friction. Usually, calluses appear on the heels of the feet. However, calluses can also develop on the hands, knuckles, and other areas. Calluses usually become less sensitive to friction, and are also yellowish in color.
Even though it's quite annoying, you can't just get over the calluses, Jovians. Because, this will make the skin become damaged and even cause the skin to be more susceptible to infection. Here are a number of ways to get rid of calluses on the feet that Jovee has summarized from various sources. Read to the end let's go!
Soak in warm waterSoaking your feet in warm water is the easiest way to get rid of calluses on the soles of your feet. Simply prepare a bucket of warm water, then soak callused feet for 20 minutes. Calluses on the feet will soften this way. You can rub the calluses with your fingers or use a special foot brush.
In addition, you can also mix apple cider vinegar into the foot bath water. The acid in the vinegar will help soften the thick layer of calluses on your feet. Keep in mind, exfoliate gently and carefully because if not done properly it can lead to skin infections.
Soak with epsom saltThe next way to deal with calluses on the feet is soaking the feet in Epsom salt water. Epsom salt is known for its properties as a natural exfoliator, so it is very helpful for removing calluses on the feet. Not only that, Epsom salt also has a relaxing effect on tired feet. Mix 2 to 3 tablespoons of Epsom salt with a bowl of warm water to make it easier to exfoliate calluses on your feet.
Apply moisturizerMoisturizers can also soften calluses on your feet. It's even better if the moisturizer you use contains exfoliating ingredients such as salicylic acid, which helps soften and exfoliate calloused feet.
Scrape with pumice stonePumice can be especially useful if you have calluses on the soles of your feet that are hard to see. After soaking your feet, rubbing a pumice stone on the calluses can be a quick way to get rid of calluses on your ankles. Gently rub the pumice stone on the calluses in a circular motion, avoiding vigorous rubbing.
Wear protective padsLaunching from Medical News Today , using protective pads or insoles can be done to treat calluses on the feet. This is because the pads can reduce pressure on the feet, so calluses can be reduced and prevented from coming back.
Surgical actionIf the calluses on the feet are very severe, the doctor may suggest surgery as a way to remove the calluses on the feet. Usually, this action is taken if the calluses you experience are already painful and make it difficult for you to walk normally.
Causes of calluses on the feetThe main cause of calluses on the feet is excessive pressure or friction on the skin. A number of the following things can also be the cause of the appearance of calluses:
1. Incorrect shoe sizeWearing shoes that don't fit your foot size, such as too tight, too loose, or high heels can trigger calluses. So, make sure to always use a shoe size that fits and is comfortable on your feet.
In women, reduce the use of high heels because the pointed toe of the shoes can press the soles of the feet, thereby increasing the risk of calluses on the feet.
2. Stand, walk, or runActivities standing, walking, or running for too long can also cause calluses. To fix this, use comfortable shoes or footwear and rest your feet after standing for a few minutes.
Sports activities or work that puts pressure on the feet for a long time can also cause calluses to appear on the feet.
3. Not using footwearDoing activities without using footwear causes friction and harder pressure on the soles of the feet. This is what triggers the appearance of calluses, because there is no protection on the skin of your feet. We recommend wearing footwear even when at home though to prevent calluses.
In addition to the causes above, a series of other things that trigger the appearance of calluses on the feet are:
- Don't wear socks when wearing shoes
- Walking with the wrong posture
- Playing musical instruments or sports equipment without protection
- This is how to get rid of calluses on your feet.